Sunday, November 15, 2015

What I'm Reading: The Girl At Midnight

Book Review: The Girl at Midnight - by Melissa Grey

I picked up this book because I loved the cover. I love that it doesn't have a person on it. It's so mysterious. Kind of mythical looking. And it's purple, my second favourite colour.

I browsed the first chapter in the book store, and loved it (the prologue I wasn't so sure about). I loved how this story began, with a wild run through an asian market, the heroine stuffing a BBQ Pork bun in her mouth. I instantly wanted to eat a BBQ pork bun.

Well, the rest of the book, it was good, but not as good as the cover and the first chapter. Which means I feel a little let down with the rest of it. A lot of people seemed to be comparing this book to Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments Series. Well, I'm not a big fan of that series, and thankfully, I didn't find the two to be all that similar, with the exception that the series are both fantasy based, have a strong female lead (Echo is a much strong MC than Clary, IMO).


Overall, The Girl At Midnight was a good book, but after the first chapter, the pace seemed to slow down, it become a lot more lovey-dovey when I was cheering for a good girls adventure. So it just turned out that it wasn't what I had expected. Now, I hope the following books to come will change that, regain some adventure and originality, which was lacking by the end of the book. Still, Echo was compelling, I'd love to know more about her past.

I will read the following books, because, as mentioned, it was still a good adventure, just not great, not mind-blowing. But then again, when was the last time I read a book even close to that....

4/5 Stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment