Thursday, April 12, 2012

Upcoming Titles

Big news in the writing world was released today: the title of J.K Rowlings next book. Since this fits in so well with what I blogged yesterday, I knew I just had to continue. The title - for anyone who hasn't heard - is "The Casual Vacancy".
I'm thumbs down on this one. First, I had to look it up multiple times to remember what it was, which to me means it's not memorable. Second, why use a word like casual in the TITLE of a book? Casual implies laid back, slow, khakis, beige, vanilla, and worst of all B-O-R-I-N-G. And Vacancy, the second word in the title: absent, empty, void, available, unwanted, and worst of all B-L-A-N-K.
This book could have otherwise been titled The Boring Blank.
The Beige Void
Khakis Unwanted.
It doesn't sound like it is going to be interesting at all.
Now this isn't to say the book will be bad, I love J.K. Rowling's writing and I love Harry Potter - but at least Harry Potter was about something and not nothing. So, disappointment in title aside, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that there is tangible goodness in this novel to be released in September. And I'm wishing that they decide to change the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment